nishmurray is an uninhabited island situated 7 km off the coast of County Sligo, Ireland. It covers 228 acres (0.9 km2).
On the island are remains of an early Irish monastic settlement. Saint Molaise founded a monastery here in the 6th century. The island’s ecclesiastical settlement was attacked in 807 by the Vikings.
The enclosure wall is impressive – reaching 15 feet (4.6 m) in height at its highest point and up to 3 meters thick. The site contains various ecclesiastical buildings including enclosures, a stone-roofed oratory, two churches, a clochan, a large beehive-shaped cell and other remains including cross slabs suggesting foreign influences.
The whole complex is composed of what is probably local limestone rubble.
The local population peaked at just over 100 in the 1880s but the last residents moved out to the mainland on 12 November 1948. Some of the buildings are still visible including 15 houses and the island’s only school.
The site remained a pilgrimage destination right up to recent times.